Thursday, December 23, 2010

Only because it's Christmas: Pics


For those of you out-of-the-loop, Pics are also known as 'Welsh Cakes'. Yet they're not really 'cakes'...and they're not 'biscuits'...and they're not 'cookies' either, despite how they look. (Delia Smith, an icon of British cooking, refers to them as a sortakinda 'scone'. Hmm...) Because they're made with baking powder, there's an element of 'rising' involved. However, they're not baked. They're cooked on a stove burner, perferably in a thick cast-iron skillet. I use my mom's recipe, so I guess you could say these are a family tradition. (I'll have to ask her how far it goes back in our family. On her side, obviously. The Welsh side.)

They are, probably, my Number One All-time Treat. Meaning, I have no restraint where they're concerned; I can eat dozens at a sitting. What's in 'em? Besides the obvious flour, milk, egg and the aforementioned baking powder...nutmeg and currants. (My mom uses sultanas, I believe.) Oh, and a final indulgence? They taste amazing with ice cream between a pair. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm always interested in feedback, differing opinions, even contrarian blasts...as long as they're delivered with decorum...with panache and flair always helping.