Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Because first and foremost, I'm a writer.


Yes, this post is a complete departure from what you'll normally find here on 'My Stoney Creek'. I don't do it all that often, but because being a writer...especially in my guise as screenwriter...informs how I see things, I occasionally feel the need to share. 

So, without further ado, two offerings. 

The first is an 'explanation' of the recently-released Ridley Scott film 'Prometheus':


And the second is maybe more important: it's an exploration of the question 'How come so many movies bite?' The essay, 'Robbing From The Poor (Writer)' provides some insight into how a good idea gets so ridiculously fucked-over in 'the production process'. Though the author doesn't frame things in this way, it comes down to:

Screenwriters are not afforded the same respect as playwrights. 

As a playwright, your work cannot be altered in any way without your permission. The role of 'writer-as-creator' is respected. 

As a screenwriter, once you've been paid, all bets are off.

In theatre, the playwright reigns supreme. 

In film, the screenwriter is a hired-hand.  

And until this changes, expect great screenplays being hijacked and turned into shite films. 


I'm just sayin'...






M Adrian Brassington

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm always interested in feedback, differing opinions, even contrarian blasts...as long as they're delivered with decorum...with panache and flair always helping.