Monday, October 24, 2011

Just a question, is all.



"I know that, you see, because I was poor. But I rose like a rocket, and I know how the whole thing works. The ones who are on your side, or so they think, are the ones who keep you down. Everything they do keeps you down. They'll forgive you for anything. Rob, rape, pillage and kill, and they'll defend you to yourself. They understand all your outrages, and all you failings and faults, too. Perfect! You can go on that way forever. What do they care? Excuse me, they do care. They want it that way. How would they make a living, these servants of the poor, if there were no poor?"


Mark Helprin, 'Winter's Tale'




I'm not an expert of much. 

And those areas where I'm not confident in, I tend to ask more questions than proffer opinions. 

Poverty is one of these areas. 

Specifically the notion of how deeply entrenched this 'culture' is in Hamilton. 

I've not been particularly aware of the situation. Some of this is due to having not been in Hamilton when things began to change in the 90s, and as they proceeded to change moving through the middle of the last decade. But more has to do with indifference on my part. Apathy. Ignorance. 

Again, this is an area where I've known it's best to keep my unqualified opinions to myself and be content with taking in more information over time. Casual osmosis, if you will. 

So this is not an informed editorial. I'm simply not equipped to offer up much in that regard. Save for the need to be asking questions about 'the situation in Hamilton' in light of what's been happening with Mission Services and Mohawk College of late. 

And as much as getting answers to 'How did it come to this?' are vital, my first enquiry would be: 

'Is there a 'poverty industry' in Hamilton?'

1 comment:

  1. Yes, there has been for years. I've spoken to various tenants of mine (I owned some rental properties) and they ALL say the same thing: have kids early so you can get on welfare.

    Also, I've spoken to a few city officials who've said that people from other areas (Oakville, Burlington, etc...) have been "dropped" off in Hamilton, cause that's where "welfare people" live.

    It's terrible that Hamilton is a dumping ground for the unwanted. It really makes me want to move out of this town.

    ReplyDelete

I'm always interested in feedback, differing opinions, even contrarian blasts...as long as they're delivered with decorum...with panache and flair always helping.