Thursday, January 27, 2011

Civic Engagement: What Can Councillors Do? Part Two

As stated previously, I believe that the only authentic way to improve local governance on a long-term basis is to 'increase the relationship of engagement between the residents and their Councillors'.

The direction of the engagement is paramount. It has to come from the citizenry to be authentic and longstanding. The primary impetus has to come from us.

However, I also believe that Councillors must do what they can do to help build this new relationship of engagement. Here's my second suggestion towards this end.


A Councillor should have a Facebook account.

Like it or not, point out what you will about its merits or its negatives, social media is here to stay. I do not believe it's the foundation on which engagement between Councillors and their residents should take place; it's an adjunct.

And Twitter? I believe that the use of Twitter has managed to trivialize the transmission of information on the political stage. Some dignity is called for when it comes to the means by which we regard the mechanism for ensuring our well-being, and I'm not convinced that 'Twitter' and 'dignity' have much in common.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm always interested in feedback, differing opinions, even contrarian blasts...as long as they're delivered with decorum...with panache and flair always helping.