Sunday, February 6, 2011

Of allotments, community gardens...



As part of an ongoing series on increasing Civic Engagement, I recently presented the underlying benefits of community gardens towards that end. 

A friend of mine sent me a link...which led to another link...and another, and another...

This is where I come face-to-face with the awesome power of the Internet. How astounding its scope is to fuel interest, to broaden horizons...to provide opportunities to connect, to learn. 

Currently, there's an online video ad talking about how there's going to be a generation who won't believe that you couldn't always see the person you were talking with electronically, whose reference points include being able to see anywhere in the world at any given time.

I mention this because I believe what the WWW offers most importantly is opportunity. I can sit down on a Sunday morning and begin researching community gardens, and in a few short hours have a working understanding of the history of the notion, have a handful of actual urban farms around the world I can reference, have emailed as many sources as I can generate the finger-work to accomplish...and even set up my own blog documenting my community's adventure...with the potential for other urban farmers across the globe to input and comment. 

How could you not be optimistic under these circumstances?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm always interested in feedback, differing opinions, even contrarian blasts...as long as they're delivered with decorum...with panache and flair always helping.