Saturday, August 27, 2011

Nihilistic Nellies and Nattering Nabobs of Negativity


Joe Btfsplk



If you don't want to do something, say so.

If you don't like something, say so.

If you don't think something is worthwhile, say so.

But I don't get people who are essentially down-in-the-mouth, and when offering an opinion, 'damn with faint praise'. Or worse.

Here's my problem: if I'm going to comment on an issue, a subject, a topic, I'm only going to do so if I'm prepared to step up to the plate, the mic whatever, and actually get my hands dirty.

So I don't get people who fling gentle criticisms, aspects of opinion about something...but then aren't at all prepared to expand on their thoughts or posit their own idea, theory or slant.

Worse off, I can't get my head around people who comment on something...and then when asked to provide their own take...reply 'That's not my job! I'm not the one writing the article!'

*stares at the screen*

This is one of the elements of online communicating (if you can call it that) that really grinds my grits. Because there's no way this would be done in-person. (Mostly because the person wouldn't have the cajones to offer their critique in the first place.)

Now, when you consider that what I'm talking about has to do with the article posted over at The Hamiltonian having to do with town hall meetings, focusing on engagement, on people getting involved, then it takes on a particularly ridiculous bent.

See, there's this commenter over at the article. Who previously has rankled me with an attitude I've seen before in real life...usually coming from someone who's not particularly content with their lot, someone who's often mealy-mouthed, someone who has both longstanding issues and an inability to either process or articulate them. (Contented people or those who have done the work to get to the other side of their issues aren't like this.)

It's not that I take issue with his or her (I'm going to bet it's a 'he') opinion that this town hall meetings effort won't work...it's what he brings to bear as his reasoning...and the fact that he comes across as a Debbie Downer. 

What's additionally depressing is that he typifies Hamilton's 'legacy malaise'. 

So I'll admit that as previously, his comments triggered me. And I responded. And it would be reasonable to declare that I was making a mountain out of a molehill. I guess that this kinda proves how much I want this effort to pan out...and how little I'm willing to suffer asshats gladly.