Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Of hubris, of fomenting...and of silliness.

Ted Brellisford/The Hamilton Spectator


The recent mishandling by Mayor Bratina of Peggy Chapman's 'pay raise' is proving to be surpassed by those in the city who are now-

Well, how about I just post the quote?

All of us have talents as people, and Mr. Bratina does as well, particularly as a public figure OUTSIDE of politics. However, given recent events and the seemingly endless conflicts that have been a feature of his administration, I am left worndering if I am the only person who thinks he is not suited to the position of Mayor of Hamilton. Therefore, I would post an 11th wish: that Mr. Bratina do the right thing and resign.

(From this comment over at Raise the Hammer)


First off, I should be clear: I didn't vote for Mayor Bratina and I was shocked that he won the election. (No, allow me to rephrase that: I wasn't 'shocked', given the demographic that voted for him, merely dismayed.) Secondly, I am not happy with increasingly steady portions of what I've either witnessed of his performance first-hand, or read about. And finally, I made a prediction about his administration some months ago now, and though I'm not willing to go on record here and now with that tidbit, I would like to use this post as a marker for future reference.

What saddens me about much of the talk this week about the mayor...and certainly in the above suggestion...is that in their responses, at times vitriolic, at times downright hysterical, people surely aren't elevating the level of dialogue in the city. 

It matters not one whit whether the commenter or legion readers believe that Bob Bratina is not suited to the position of Mayor of Hamilton. He was elected. He won the contest. 

And tied to this is the fact that he's under no obligation to resign. 

Actually, I had to stop typing that. I was laughing too much, shaking my head too hard. 

Short of partaking in some truly egregious act of immoral and/or illegal behaviour, mayors don't resign. And they certainly don't resign over something as -in relative terms- insignificant as how a proposed pay raise was initiated. 

There is nothing in place in Ontario to 'recall' publicly-elected officials. And City Council is not a party-infused legislative assembly. So there is no 'non-confidence vote'. And I hardly think that this incident falls within the purview of the Integrity Commissioner. So then...?

So then it behooves us to be the adults in the conversation.  

I get the anger, the frustration, the umbrage taken. I get the need to ridicule. I get the need to have some fun. To lambaste, to lampoon, yadda, yadda, yadda. (And I'm in complete agreement with what Graham Crawford says in the editorial at Raise the Hammer to which the commenter was responding, 'All I Want For Christmas'.)

But I can't help but be reminded of 'Nero fiddling while Rome burned'... 


...or the thrust behind this commercial:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm always interested in feedback, differing opinions, even contrarian blasts...as long as they're delivered with decorum...with panache and flair always helping.