Thursday, February 9, 2012

'How?' you ask...? Part One



'Good question!' is my initial response.

(The question under consideration is in regards to the notion that I presented in the essay 'The 8-Ball and The Curve: Why Are We Always Behind One or The Other?': We need to change the landscape so that we, the residents, the taxpayers, the underwriters of publicly-funded development, have a much higher level of participation than we've traditionally had.

It's a touchy, usually-avoided topic, a situation seen as being beyond any degree of 'fixing'. People who I present it to roll their eyes, shake their heads...and offer to sort out world peace instead. 'Good luck with that!" I'm told. "Not gonna happen," others mutter. "You must be living in your own little world," generally sums things up. 

So before I go any further, allow me to suggest this analogy when it comes to this discussion: 

Imagine if I were to propose to morbidly obese people what their day-to-day lives would be like if they were lean and fit. 

If I were to talk about being able to get more done on their days off, or even before and after work, the response would be a bewailing chorus pointing out that a) they don't have the energy, b) they don't have the desire, or c) they don't have the motivation. It almost wouldn't matter were I to point out that their references were off, that because they'd be lean and fit, they'd have more energy, they'd have more desire, and they'd have more motivation. Even in pretending, they're locked into their perceptions, their experiences. 

If I were to talk to them about how great it would be to be able to go into any clothing store and have a massive range of choice, they'd scoff and ask 'Do you have any idea how hard it is to find anything that fits?!?' It almost wouldn't matter were I to point out that their references were off, that because they'd be lean and fit, most styles would be options and much more likely than currently, their size would be in-stock. Even in pretending, they're locked into their perceptions, their experiences. 

If I were to talk to them about the different activities they could partake in, the sports they could compete in, the hobbies they could-

Yeah, I'm sure you know where I'm going with this: people frame their responses based on past experiences, present expectations...and seemingly aren't capable of imagining any other possibilities. 

Whenever I turn around the sign so it says 'Discussion Topic: Making Governance Better', I run into the same sort of responses. 

Even from really intelligent people. 

I've begun to wonder if a) industrial-strength cynicism has leaked into the water system, b) people are that beaten down, or c) I just need to try a little better at explaining how we can accomplish the goal of changing 'How Things Are Done in Hamilton'. 


Next up: Getting down to the practicals of 'How?'

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm always interested in feedback, differing opinions, even contrarian blasts...as long as they're delivered with decorum...with panache and flair always helping.