Friday, November 5, 2010

Courage on the Periphery

In this week's editions of the Hamilton Community News (including the Stoney Creek News), there's a very thoughtful, well-considered...if essentially heretical staff-generated editorial entitled 'Bratina has mandate'. (I"m linking to the Hamilton Mountain News version because as I write this, the SCN site has yet to be updated.)

I heartily encourage you to read it, because the topic is de-amalgamation.

There are two things I know for sure about this subject. One, almost nobody wants to discuss it. They do not, under any circumstances, want this can of worms opened. (I tend to believe that most of these 'resisters' are from within the original City of Hamilton.) Two, that nobody I've heard respond to questions about it have any solid numbers at their disposal required to answer the questions 'Is it possible?' and 'What will it cost?' Therefore, the more prudent response to both questions is 'I don't know.' (But politicians have a very hard time saying those words. Clearly fodder for another editorial.)

Despite how some would like to shake their heads, mutter something like 'Other more pressing issues...' and the such, the truth is that, as the Staff Editorial declares:

"Failing to address the ails of amalgamation is poor municipal management. If there is a better way, why not seek to find it?"

As this discussion deserves a great dollop of attention, I'll leave you to read the HCN editorial, and return soon with more of my take on it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm always interested in feedback, differing opinions, even contrarian blasts...as long as they're delivered with decorum...with panache and flair always helping.