Friday, July 23, 2010

It's *such* a great notion...

The interior of The Commodore in Portsmouth, VA, a 'dinner-cinema' experience.

Part of my 'dream solution' for reinventing, revitalizing Downtown Stoney Creek, found in this portion of my 10-part series, was a re-birth of The Fox, for the past 44 years known as The Royal Canadian Legion, as a 'dinner-cinema', of course the film version of 'dinner-theatre'. The model for this is The Commodore Theatre.

But the New York Times has an article online today telling us about two new cinema ventures of a similar styling.

As I've said previously, it's a great concept, it bucks the conventional model enough to in turn buck the traditional (lack of) success where independent movie houses are concerned...and it's a sure thing for a community such as Stoney Creek.

2 comments:

  1. I wish they would refurbish theaters like the AVON on Ottawa Street.

    THEN:
    http://ao.minisisinc.com/Webimages/I0011956.jpg

    NOW:
    http://farm1.staticflickr.com/4/9490491_f66892f671_o.jpg

    -Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark, I think a resurrected Avon would be pretty cool...and it's certainly in the right neighbourhood for something in line with what I'm proposing in this post. (I can't see it coming back to life as a regular cinema, as in 'rep theatre'.) Ottawa Street is, from what I've heard, really making leaps and bounds, becoming a thriving community.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I'm always interested in feedback, differing opinions, even contrarian blasts...as long as they're delivered with decorum...with panache and flair always helping.