Thursday, July 1, 2010

Letter to the Editor, Stoney Creek News: Mark Cripps' Column




For the second time in recent memory, Managing Editor Cripps has gone off on car flags. Specifically where the World Cup is concerned. "As I’ve stated before, I hate those car flags. It drives me nuts that people are so proud to fly the flag of another country over our own Maple Leaf. Last week after Serbia won a match against Germany, while historic, Hwy. 8 in Stoney Creek became a sea of Pan-Slavic colour. I don’t remember seeing the same parade when Canada won Olympic gold in hockey."

Or, as he stated back on May 20: "The one thing that really bugs me about the World Cup is how some people in Canada all of a sudden become residents of another country."

Though Mr. Cripps' version of 'whiny' has its admirable aspects going for it, I don't think it's quite becoming a person his size, his age, or his gender. Nevertheless, what he's been venting over did resonate with me.


Back in 1982, I was still living in Stoney Creek. And I remember distinctly my reaction to hearing the blaring car horns, listening to the cheers from vehicles as they sped by on King Street, the raucousness of the Italian community when they beat Germany 3-1 for the championship: I was incensed.

It ticked me off enormously that these so-called 'Canadians' were so jubilantly -and so clearly without a mute button- broadcasting their love of mother-country. In fact, I can still recall the invectives I muttered only loud enough for me to hear.

Two decades later, I was working in London, England during the 2002 World Cup. And I think that it was during this month-or-so that my feelings about 'pride of nationality' changed. (My views changed a lot on identity while I was living in the UK, but that's for another time.) In a word, my stance softened dramatically.

I remember when Cameroon accomplished their lone win of the tournament, how Oxford Street was filled with green, red and yellow flags, the sound of whistles being blown, horns being honked, everyone, not just those from Cameroon, joining in the celebrations. (Well, maybe not the Saudi fans; the score had been 1-0.)

I also recall the spirit of the city the rest of the month, how even as England struggled, even after it had been knocked out, it could be described as 'joyous'.

Maybe Mr. Cripps doesn't grasp that there are two things going on here with the World Cup. The first is, obviously, a gathering of teams from thirty-two countries. But more importantly...and this is where his hockey comparison takes as bad a stumble as some of the best thespian efforts on the pitch...it's a football (read that: 'soccer') competition. So we're talking a global language. Unlike ice hockey, which is at best, an esoteric tongue in comparison.

As much as I'm a proud Canuck, I recognize the limited appeal of our national winter sport. So I don't expect all Canadians, especially someone who has no innate affinity for the game, to express what Mr. Cripps is expecting them to when Team Canada is playing. I learned this first-hand; I supported 'The Three Lions' in English pubs with co-workers for World Cups in both football and rugby, but I never pretended to feel as impassioned as my hosts did. (Even though I'm only one generation removed from being British, and there's a town in England bearing my name.) Expecting for hockey the same reaction and level of enthusiasm from 'non-native Canadians' as they manifest for football is, at best, naïve. (I have to ask: Have you lived anywhere other than Canada, Mr. Cripps?)


Some years back, a Canadian waited dockside for a US Navy ship to come into the Norfolk, Virginia shipyards at the conclusion of a deployment. His wife was on board, an officer. And while all manner of boisterousness was going on about him...flags, air-horns, the works...this gentleman was awaiting the ship in his own quiet, inimitable way. Well, eventually, he was approached by someone, someone who also had a family member arriving. "Hey! Why aren't you making any noise? You should be making some noise! Come on; show some respect!"

Mr. Cripps, that's who you've reminded me of on both occasions you've chosen to step up onto your bully pulpit and declaim as to how Canadians 'should' be behaving.

So my wish to you is for some opportunities to 'soften'. I'm sure you have it in you; just don't try quite so hard, OK?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm always interested in feedback, differing opinions, even contrarian blasts...as long as they're delivered with decorum...with panache and flair always helping.