Saturday, July 17, 2010

A 'Letter to the Editor'...but not one of mine.

In this week's Stoney Creek News, there's a letter addressing the metered parking 'situation' in Downtown Stoney Creek. It's from a reader whose name I recognize from previous editions of the News, contributing to the discussion of other issues over the past year that I've also contributed to. The letter is here, but I'm going to publish it as well:


How many shoppers will just drive away?
Letters
Jul 15, 2010
Re: Downtown parking meters up and running, July 8, 2010

I had an appointment on Locke Street South the other day and, while driving back from it, I saw some shops that looked interesting.

I spotted a parking space and pulled up, my mind working on which place to check out first.

To my chagrin, there was a large box nearby that read “Pay Here First” and I simply drove away. I can't help but wonder how many people will do the same thing in downtown Stoney Creek now that parking meters have been installed.

Mike Matheson, Stoney Creek

Needless to say, I was typing out a response immediately, and after I'd entertained a friend, several hours I sent it off to the Editor.

I'm not going to publish it here, because I've got the feeling that to do so pretty much obliterates any chance my letter has at getting published by the News; I think that there's some line I cross when I do this, that they maybe feel like their toes are being stepped on, even if it's just to the extent that I'm effectively removing them from the loop, so it's no longer a Stoney Creek News 'Letter to the Editor', but more a reprint from a local activism blog. (Not that this 'genteel' approach on my part will have any guaranteed effect on how they see me and my opinions these days. They may have decided to ignore me forever and ever, Amen. And of course, I can't do a thing about that. But I will say this: 'Eo non abicubi'. Or, for those of you who failed Latin, 'I'm not going anywhere.')

However, I do want to generally comment on how this letter makes it abundantly clear to me that Stoney Creek desperately needs to generate dialogue about its downtown. It's one thing to have divergent opinions. It's one thing to be clinging to mindsets that are anchored in bygone days. But when the very life of an area is being misunderstood, when, shall we say, there's a discussion about whether or not someone should be wearing jeans or trousers, short-sleeve or long-sleeve shirts, shoes or boots, while they're actually suffering from secondary hypertension and are at imminent risk of a heart attack or stroke...then we've reached the point where someone has to do whatever they can to get the dialogue started.

Which is exactly what I'm doing here...

...while hoping that the Stoney Creek News will take it upon themselves to see the whole notion of 'downtown revitalization' as being the unacknowledged elephant in the room, take the lead and at least open the general discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm always interested in feedback, differing opinions, even contrarian blasts...as long as they're delivered with decorum...with panache and flair always helping.