Thursday, June 3, 2010

Letter to the Editor, Stoney Creek News, regarding the Dairy

Dear Editor;

So far, over the past two weeks, we've seen two articles and an editorial column by Paul Miller in the News addressing the Stoney Creek Dairy's facilities closing. (Oh, and an additional call for reminiscences.)

What we haven't seen is any mention of what's going to be happening with the land and the buildings; the 7.6 million that Desserts-Lambert paid was just for the equipment and the name.

You see, I'm sad that twenty-seven jobs have been lost, glad that the retail end of the Dairy will continue...but I'm scratching my head as to why the obvious question 'What happens now?' hasn't even been asked by the News.

I've asked it.

I contacted M Georges Gaucher of Desserts-Lambert about it, because I'd come up with a suggestion as to how that land and its buildings might be put to 'best use' from a community perspective. (The article on the blog 'My Stoney Creek' can be found here.)

M Gaucher kindly responded, telling me that as far as he knew, Mr. Alex Kepecs has retained ownership.

I've tried to contact Mr. Kepecs to get a response...so far to no avail.

So here we have this pretty important issue, the future of part of one of Stoney Creek's landmarks...and I have yet to see any questions about it, never mind answers, in the News.

Can we count on something substantive (and hopefully revelatory) in the paper soon?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm always interested in feedback, differing opinions, even contrarian blasts...as long as they're delivered with decorum...with panache and flair always helping.