Sunday, June 13, 2010

So; you wanna talk about our 'parking problem'...? Part One

Cuz if you do, then we also have to talk about our 'downtown' problem.

In that we really don't have one. A 'downtown', that is.

Yeah, I know; 'Ouch'. But don't worry; it won't leave a scar. (Hardly, anyway.)

Once again, I'm going to begin this discussion with a disclaimer. It's not any different from previous ones, but I can't rely on everyone reading every single post, now can I?

I have no allegiance to any particular person, group, alliance, conglomeration regarding Downtown Stoney Creek. I yammer on about it because it deserves to be yammered on about, it deserves to be waaaaaaay more than it is...which at the present time...ain't much. So if I offend, I don't do so intentionally, and if it happens as a result of what I say or how I say it, chalk it up to wanting to see my hometown with a core it has every right to have. (Right now, it's about 15% of this. And I'm being generous.)

Over the past nine months or so, there's been an enormous amount of attention paid to the 'paid parking brouhaha' in Downtown Stoney Creek. I won't belabour the point here, though I have addressed to a certain extent elsewhere, here, and here. What was fascinating to me was the fact that the overwhelming brunt of the angst wasn't driven by concerns over the possible implications for retail (although this was an element), it was driven mostly by concerns about the potential impact on a social organization (the Royal Canadian Legion) and two volunteer charities. In fact, regarding businesses and the such, what I picked up on most was the effect on employees.

I'm still shaking my head, figuratively gawking.

This whole imbroglio raised some intriguing questions about a) how Downtown Stoney Creek ended up with -seemingly- a dearth of parking, and b) how this would impact the future of business in the downtown.

My quick answers are a) a lack of foresight, perspective and a fair dollop of 'Mayberry, RFD'-itis, and b) it probably wouldn't, so long as the profile of the downtown remained as it was...which is one of 'There's no there, there.'

Apparently, some place great faith in this logic:

"We have bad parking problems, therefore businesses refuse to locate here."

The truth is more like:

"The entirely dynamic of the downtown is so awfully constructed that it pretty much negates the 'bad parking' issue."

I actually scratch my head at people who insist on believing that Downtown Stoney Creek is the way that it is because of a lack of parking.

Talk about flattering themselves.

Anyway, though I do have some things to say about the parking issue and Downtown Stoney Creek, as well as further addressing the question of revitalizing the area (because as I said, they're inextricably connected) I first wanted to give a pretty solid example of why we're stuck in limbo regarding said 'revitalization' and the mindset -passively set or not- that would have to change in order for this to happen.

This is the south-west corner of King and Mountain Avenue South. A pharmacy (just down the street from a medical complex with a Shoppers Drug Mart, while down the other street from yet another Shoppers), a doctor's office, a Young Drivers of Canada office, an architect's office...

...a lawyer's office, a Registered Massage Therapist office...

...a parkette...

...and a Royal Canadian Legion.

This comprises, in effect, the better part of a quarter of Downtown Stoney Creek.

Let me review: a pharmacy, four professional offices, a parkette and a social organization.

There's a general rule that the larger your 'downtown', or 'main street', village core or city center, the more room you have to screw up.

Conversely, the smaller the area, the less room you have for error.

Anyone care to venture the real impact of having so much prime streetfront property tied up in non-retail (don't bother going there with the 'the pharmacy is retail!' argument) enterprises?

(I need to point out again that I'm not attacking any particular businesses, any particular endeavours. I'm merely attempting to shine some light on where we actually are, and hopefully stimulate some discussion...even if it proves to be discomfitting to some.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm always interested in feedback, differing opinions, even contrarian blasts...as long as they're delivered with decorum...with panache and flair always helping.