Thursday, September 9, 2010

Mr. Conciliatory Takes The Stage (Sorta, kinda...)


I don't suffer fools gladly.

Never have, never will.

I inherited this trait from my father...though over the years I've refined how I deal with fools, taking his generally stoic regard and adding my own élan to the process.

Additionally, I'll further admit to being a snob. At least an intellectual one. It's not that I don't have time for people who strain for cogency...but I am not able -'willing'?- to indulge to any great extent. I recognize on a spiritual level that everyone has their own divinity, that each path and the expressions of these paths deserve respect within this context...but that's as far as I go. (The human part of me is not the identical twin to the spiritual. Sue me.)

WRCU2, a well-known (and well-regarded) area blogger and commenter-on-other-blogs took me to task for something I said in Part One of an editorial I ran this morning. I replied. Maybe not with as much grace as I'd have wanted...at least in retrospect...but I'm not here to apologize or make nice.

I am here to clarify something he/she said.

"You do a fine job of baiting the reader with pen, in an attempt to conjure up someone else's solution, yet do not offer your own opinion of a "fix" in your contorted convolution."

(Christ, what scares me is that I think we'd actually get along in real Life; the Internet magnifies and distorts and often skews perspective something awful...and I've never liked his/her use of videos in his/her comments, so the word 'twat' is one I've consistently applied when I come across his/her offerings. Despite this, I sincerely do believe we'd probably do fine over coffee. Go figure.)

So here's what I wanted to say in response:

You will find, if you digest everything I've ever written on this site over the past near-four months, through almost 225 posts, that while I am undeniably critical, caustic and even damning in my examination of the admittedly slim number of of issues I've taken the time to address...

...I have always offered up potential solutions and/or remedies.

To wit:

-The Merlo Clear-cut, the issue that prompted this blog: my posts are rife with suggestions, with observations, with posited explanations for this still-unexplained incident. The efforts I went to to track down experts and try to solve the mystery were substantial.

-The Downtown Stoney Creek Parking Meters Brouhaha: I have repeatedly deconstructed this faux-cause, and provided all manner of possible 'solutions'. (See the next item.)

-The Downtown Stoney Creek Vibrancy Conundrum: I wrote a ten-part series examining the situation from an historical perspective...and actually redesigned the entire BIA from top-to-bottom, King Street from Lake Avenue to Elm Street for anyone that would listen. (Turns out the Powers-That-Be have been listening...err, 'reading'. And they're attempting to do something about the conundrum as we speak.) Not only that, I have been strident in communiqués with the City, with the Stoney Creek News and the Stoney Creek Business Improvement Area.

-The Stoney Creek Dairy facilities: I proposed a use for the property, given that this is an amazing civic opportunity that will never come again. (The plant is leaving, but how the land will be used next has yet to be announced.) I contacted both the purchaser of the equipment in Quebec as well as the current owner of the property in an effort to create a spark.

-The Battlefield Park Master Plan: Having digested and examined the proposals, I attempted to engage those parties responsible in order to offer up feedback. Not only that, but I've been in touch with the Ward Councillor about the connection between this Master Plan, the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Stoney Creek and the fact that there currently is no 'downtown' for anyone visiting on this auspicious occasion to actually spend any time in, doing anything...or more importantly, spending any money.

-Fruitland Road and Its Traffic Woes: I've made countless attempts to gain a better, more cogent perspective on this longstanding issue, contacting just about all the major players...and I've even offered up my own simple, practical, stop-gap solution to provide some degree of relief to the beleaguered residents.

-The Pan Am Games Stadium Debate: I've offered up my suggestions, rather than railing at any or all of the proposals...even though my approach is decidedly different from about 90% of the population...including Mr. Young.

-Ward Councillors and Their Relationships with Residents: I don't need to belabour the point here; I'm devoting a ton of time to trying to 'think outside the box' and envision a way to get to a better, more effective local governance paradigm, this 'relationship of engagement' thing.


I'm known for not offering an opinion unless I'm confident it's worthy of consideration. Which is why I don't offer opinions just to hear myself talk, or gain some sort of validation by way of tapping at my keyboard. (My main complaint about online commenters.) Additionally, I 'specialize' in being able to 'see' situations and provide feedback as to how to make things better. (Sure, I'll produce references, if that would make anyone feel better. As long as they're willing to provide the same, in kind.) So you better believe that I'm going to take personally someone saying something akin to what WRCU2 mouthed-off about this morning. I am nothing at all if I'm not someone who takes both personal credibility and propriety seriously.

So; I will always welcome strong comments...but be aware that if you attack me and you don't have your shit together, I'm gonna be itchin' to wrassle. And I always get the last laugh. (It's in my contract.)

Addendum: Just so's there's no misunderstanding, my preamble refers to what actually prompted my ire towards WRCU2, how I regard so many online commenters. But then, I dealt with this all here.

2 comments:

  1. That's swell mystoneycreek, I see I got you all fired up today. As for myself, I didn't give this a second thought while I was at work, there was no time for playing knee-jerk. Do you have a job mystoneycreek or are you just one of those career bloggers? Although IT really doesn't matter, to each his own I gather. I take a few moments each day to read the news and catch some views and a few times a week I may leave a comment here or there, but beyond that I have no time to spare.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NwP3wes4M8

    In case you haven't noticed, I'm a bit different. I ain't your average pig in a poke spit for brains folk. You may have the last laugh but that's only half of the joke. I didn't think you'd mind a comment on your blog once in awhile with all the work you've put into IT (smile).

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaV-6qerkqI

    The solution to increased civic engagement is right underneath our noses; Social networking is for those who don't mind the thorns beneath the roses. I do not blog because I believe I can make a difference, I know I can because I have the persistence and futile is any resistance.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQZmCJUSC6g

    ReplyDelete
  2. WRCU2: Thanks for your comment. I appreciate the talent (and time) involved in crafting it. (Though I suspect your deftness-of-touch is probably quickly and effortlessly rendered.)

    As for social networking being the 'solution to increased civil engagement'...I would beg to differ; its a tool, a means, a medium, but what I'm striving towards involves something much more expansive, much more invasive. (Don't get me started on cell-phone use...which might seem a non sequitur of sorts...but isn't.) Fashioning a deeper 'relationship of engagement' in local governance will certain involve social networking...but cannot be the foundation of it any more than the phone was the answer for all relationship dilemmas in the past. This might be a generational 'agree to disagree' situation, and that's fine...but I'm going to be following my instincts on this one and pursuing what I'm convinced is the correct path by which to find a better way. (Which unfortunately seems not to be one that Ryan at RTH will be accompanying me on.)

    Again, thanks.

    ReplyDelete

I'm always interested in feedback, differing opinions, even contrarian blasts...as long as they're delivered with decorum...with panache and flair always helping.