Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Regarding Fruitland Road; The Responses, Parts One and Two

I was delighted to receive two replies back from my open letter within the very first day. (Even though one candidate got my name wrong. *sigh*)

It's somewhat encouraging to find that potential leaders of our community appreciate how vital it is that they 'get' issues on more than merely the superficial, or the pep-rally level. Which is why, once I have all the candidates' responses, I'll be asking more comprehensive questions of them on this issue.

(Additionally, I need to make clear that I have not forgotten about incumbent Councillors Pearson in Ward 10, or Mitchell in Ward 11. Their positions are a matter of public record, but I do plan on bringing them into the discussion before too long.)

From Bernard Josipovic, candidate for Ward 10:

"As a Stoney Creek resident for over 22 years I feel that this issue should have been resolved long ago. When these residents purchased their homes they were under the impression that the road was never intended to be open to traffic. That being said I support a by-pass in the area. The by-pass should be put into consideration before any development is planned. This problem has been going for over a decade and I am flabbergasted that it has taken this long and even more shocked that nothing has been done by our current councilor. If I am elected, I plan to work with the Ward 11 representative ensuring that the residents of Fruitland Rd. are no longer ignored by their councilor and that this issue is taken care of once and for all. At the end of the day, all these people really want is to live in a safe area where they can let their kids out to play and their dog/cat out.
The people I spoke to on Saturday were promised that something would be done, and they are angry and hurt that these promises have been broken
."

From Ken Chartrand, candidate for Ward 11:

"People are entitled to live in safe and healthy communities. In the case of Fruitland Road, their road was never intended to be open to traffic. I support the need for a by-pass for Fruitland Road, and that the by-pass needs to be built before any development ensues in this area. This problem has been outstanding for far too long and the by-pass was to be completed over a decade ago. It is about time that Ward councillors support these residents rather than ignore their concerns. If I am elected I will stand up for this community and for other communities to ensure that children, families and seniors reside in safe and healthy neighbourhoods."


Thanks to both gentlemen for taking the time to respond to my enquiry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm always interested in feedback, differing opinions, even contrarian blasts...as long as they're delivered with decorum...with panache and flair always helping.