Wednesday, August 18, 2010

You see, the worst possible development would be...

...if, in an effort to retain 'stable tenants', the Major Players in Downtown Stoney Creek, or anyone else who is contributing to a shifting status quo, be they businesspeople or politicians, whomever... It would be downright catastrophic if the spaces currently available on King Street, and those that might become available in the near future, were 'allowed' to be filled by anything other than what this pivotal section of town requires, which is retail and leisure.

I've dealt with all of this repeatedly on this blog. Repeatedly and consistently. Stressing the fact that unless you get the mix right, what you'll end up with is... Well, what you'll end up with is what you see in front of you right now if you stroll from Lake Avenue to Elm Street.

Bleurgh.

So the 'worst possible development' would see a vast majority of our prime Downtown Stoney Creek spaces containing things like doctors' offices. Lawyers' offices. Health and fitness and personal-pampering professionals. Tax advisers, financial consultants, personal development gurus...psychics.

You can't see me right now, but I'm bleary-eyed, gnashing my teeth and pushing the heels of my palms into my cranium. (I refuse to pull my hair out; Nature's been conspiring to accomplish this for decades, and I'm not going to assist in any way whatsoever.)

To watch your hometown's downtown fall into dilapidated disrepair is one thing. Watching vapid super-development run roughshod, tearing down heritage and replacing it with soulless concrete is another. But watching what appears to be going on in Downtown Stoney Creek is another kind of torment entirely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm always interested in feedback, differing opinions, even contrarian blasts...as long as they're delivered with decorum...with panache and flair always helping.